Sunday, September 2, 2012

Word Wall Wonderfulness

Look at my word wall…it is in one straight line!  I cannot THANK Miss Neuenschwander enough for SHARING this idea with me.  I am excited to use this with my kiddos this school year. 

As you know…”Word Wall Words” often do not fit into the "traditional" spelling patterns.  Many of them cannot be sounded out phonetically - the students simply must learn them.

In my classroom, the words are reviewed weekly, and students may refer to the wall any time they need help spelling a basic sight word.  This will help prepare them for reading in first grade…even kindergarten! 

Not only do I use word wall words (sight words~star words~high frequency words~popcorn word~etc), I like to use names, environmental print, vocabulary, common core words, and word family words on the word wall.     

Here is an example of one of the letters as the year goes on…

I will place all the Word Wall Words/Sight Words permanently on the top of each letter.  My sight words are color coordinated by how many letters in each word.  For example, all the 3 letter words have a green background. 

On the bottom of the letters I will place the environmental print, names, vocabulary, common core words, and word families.  The ones on the bottom can be changed periodically during the year.

Remember…The emphasis on having a word wall in your classroom is building the students’ confidence that they will be able to read –because they are already reading!
 
Amber

4 comments:

  1. That IS one perfectly straight line!! How many times did you have to do it?? lol ;)
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA HA...if you look closely it is not that straight and every time I look at it I tell myself...just leave it...it is fine...you have more things to do! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great!! I love how you're using environmental print:)

    Tammy
    1...2...3...Teach With Me
    Dots of Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of color coding your sight words by the number of letters in the word. My star words right now are all yellow to show they shine like stars. :)

    Erin
    www.missandersonkinder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace