Earth Day is coming soon. April 22nd - as a matter of fact!
In our classroom, the students make Earth necklaces the week before to wear on that special day. See picture below!
There is a trick to making the necklace - Experience! Actually...the only 2 ingredients you need are potting soil and glue. The tricky part is getting the right texture. It cannot be too soft/mushy and it cannot be too hard/thick.
1) In a bowl mix enough soil and glue for the class.
2) Have the student scoop out a spoonful (golf ball size or smaller).
3) The student will roll it into a smooth ball.
4) The teacher will stick a small paper clip in the top.
5) Place on a wax sheet of paper with the students name next to it.
It usually takes 1 to 2 days to dry. Make sure to move it around
so one side is not flat.
6) Paint the ball green(land) and blue(water). I used neon acrylic
paint. It was brighter!
7) Tie a string and wear!